25 October 2013

the BEST Pumpkin Scones

I love fall. I love sweaters and boots, scarves and mittens. I love the cold gently nipping at my nose. I love drinking hot coffee without feeling like a weirdo. I love soups. I love the food. I love the colors. And until recently I loved all things pumpkin. I don't know what changed, if  the novelty just wore off, but slowly I have been disappointed by pumpkin food one after the other. Until NOW! I had a girly function to bring food to and saw this Starbucks Copy Cat recipe all over the internet. I thought I would try pumpkin one more time (*you hear me pumpkin, this is your last chance*).

It was delightful and pretty easy to pull together. Lots of people asked for the recipe. I made them for 2 other events in the last 2 weeks! They are good plain or for extra indulgence add the glazes. YUP, glazeS! Of course, they are totally calorie-free, sugar-free, fat-free... ;) HEY at least pumpkin is a veg, right?! I could have posted a chocolate chip scone recipe... ohhh next week!

Alright, here ya go! *SORRY I failed to take pictures, next time...*

PUMPKIN SCONES
2c flour
3/4c sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2c pumpkin puree
3 Tbsp half & half
1 egg
6 Tbsp cold butter (please for the love of all things, use real, unsalted butter!)

1. Preheat oven to 425F/218C. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and dust lightly with flour.
2. Mix all the dry ingredients together (first 8). Using a pastry blender, two knifes, or a food processor, cut in the butter, until it resembles fine crumbs. Set aside.
3. Mix the pumpkin, half and half, and egg together. Gently fold into flour-crumb mixture. It will be sticky, but if it's way too sticky to handle, throw a little more flour at it ;)
4. Turn out onto floured cookie sheet, pat into a rectangle. cut in half length-wise. Then cut each half into 3 triangles (I made minis so I cut each third in half). *I floured my knife in between cuts* Pull them slightly apart. Bake for 14-16 minutes (I checked on my minis at 10 minutes).

Plain Glaze
1/2c sifted powder sugar
1T milk
Mix together (add more milk if necessary) and brush on top of almost cooled scones.

Spiced Glaze
3/4c sifted powder sugar
1-2T milk
1/4tsp cinnamon
1/8tsp nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground ginger
Mix together, should be slightly thicker than plain glaze. When plain glaze is almost set, drizzle spiced glaze over. I used a fork, you can also try a squeeze bottle or piping bag, but why dirty something if a fork works?

Now GO! Make these easy peasy scones & feel like a domestic goddess!

No comments:

Post a Comment